The Decade of Centenaries 2012-2023 is a commemorative programme covering the tumultuous years leading from the Third Home Rule Bill in 1912 to the formation of an independent Irish State in 1922, the end of the Civil War and the separation of Northern Ireland.
Decade of Centenaries Programme 2019
- History Ireland Hedge School. The War of Independence in Clare: Reassessment of David Fitzpatrick’s Politics and Irish Life 1913-1921: Provincial Experience of War and Revolution with Tomás Mac Conmara, Pádraig Óg Ó Ruairc, Eve Morrison and Cecile Gordan. Chaired by Tommy Graham. Podcast available at: https://www.historyireland.com/podcast/the-war-of-independence-in-county-clare/
- Greyhound on a Train with Carnation Theatre, the stories of four women during the War of Independence shown in DeValera Public Library, Ennis and Shannon Public Library.
- Mike Hanrahan’s Clare: Songs of Independence with focus on 1919 and the start of the War of Independence. Mike performed in libraries in Ennis, Kilrush and Scariff as well as in Clare Museum.
- Exhibition on the Limerick Soviet in Shannon Library during Sept 2019 and showing of the related documentary.
- War of Independence Film Screenings in various library branches of Wind that Shakes the Barleyand Michael Collins.
- Readings by children’s historical fiction author Brian Gallagher to primary school children in Shannon, Ennis, Miltown Malbay and Ennistymon.
- Éigse Thomáis Uí Aodha in Miltown Malbay, organised by Oidhreacht an Chláir. This Éigse included a lecture on the Black and Tans by Tomás Mac Conmara, an exhibition on the 1919 Dáil loan in Kilmurry Ibrickane Parish and events around the life of Tomás Uí Aodha.
Clare County Library Lecture Series
- Tomás Mac Conmara. The Scariff Martyrs: History and Meaning
- Sinéad McCoole. 100 Years of Women in Politics and Public Life
- Joe Power. Guerrilla War in Clare
- Paul O’Brien. Joe Barrett Archive
- Tom Toomey. Incarceration of Brigadier General Lucas
- Pádraig Óg Ó Ruairc. Secret Stories from the War of Independence
- Joe Ó Muircheartaigh on John Burke and the War of Independence
Details of national Decade of Centenaries events can be found at www.decadeofcentenaries.com
Local Authorities oversee the Community Strand of the national Decade of Centenaries programme funded by the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media. Funding is provided to each Local Authority to develop a programme of commemorative events. The Community Strand encourages a collaborative approach between the State, local authority network and community organisations.